Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem linking Access97 --> SQL SERVER containing NTEXT fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctudose

Programmer
Nov 22, 2001
CA
I have a table in SQL Server 2000 that has a field in it of type "ntext". When I try to open the linked table through ODBC using Access97, all that appears for each field in some of the rows is "#Name?" and the error message
" ODBC-call failed(error 3146)"
Design view of the linked table in Access shows that the "ntext" field in SQL Server was mapped as a "Memo" - which is correct, though

When trying to edit, or even just view the data in these rows the
following error message appears:

"The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. "

If I change the data type on SQL Server 2000 to "nvarchar", I can open now the linked table in Access 97 without error, and the field is mapped as "Text"-correct

Originally my table was upsized to SQL Server 2000 from Access97.
The field was converted automatically from "MEMO" to "NTEXT" during this process.

What I really need is to have that field of type "ntext" on SQL Server(Memo in Access 97), and to open properly the linked table in Access 97

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Cris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back