Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Joining Win2K Server to NT4.0 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darts

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
CA
I am a container admin on a larger network and have the abilility to create computer accounts on the NT4.0 domain.

We have a new Win2K Advanced server that needs to be joined to the existing domain as a member server. When I specify the domain name I get prompted for credentials - so far, so good - but after about 20 seconds of thinking about it, a message saying that no corresponding computer account exists for this machine. NT provides the option of creating the computer account when joining a domain - I can't find the same option on the Win2K server.

I suppose (in theory) I could turn the server off (to avoid a name conflict), rename a spare NT machine to the server's name and join that to the domain - thus creating the account in the process. Then afterwards unplug the spare machine and try it again from the server. Seems like a back-asswards way of doing it - if it would even work to begin with. I'm almost tempted to try it, but there must be a better way...

[morning] Darts

Log onto the Server as a local admin. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties". Select the "Network Identification" tab. Change from workgroup to domain and type your domain name. You will be prompted for credentials to join the domain.

Thanks for the reply CoolClark, however I managed to get that far by myself. It's after putting in the credentials that the message indicating the machine has no corresponding computer account. Or are you saying the account ought to be created automatically when the domain is joined? If so, that raises another issue since I successfully added about a dozen NT and a few XP machines to the domain this week - what's so different with the Win2K machine? Is it simply that the account has to exist prior to joining the domain?

[morning] Darts

Sometimes Win2k can be finicky when being joined to a domain. Try creating a computer account ofr your new member server on the domain first.

Good suggestion imathec - it worked, however because I'm not a domain admin on this network it was a bit of an adventure (Corp I.T. is short staffed due to summer vacations, so for the next few weeks they are only handling 'emergencies')

I had to follow that theoretical procedure outlined in my original post: shut off the server, rename my laptop (XP Pro) to the server's name and join it to the domain, unplug the laptop from the network and finally fire up the server to join. Makes no sense to me, but it got the desired result - the server is now a member of the domain.

Just to test an idea, I set up a Win2K workstation and tried joining it to the same domain - no problem - worked first try. Go figure.

[morning] [morning] Darts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back