Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem joining Mac OSX client to samba PDC - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MengTian

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2010
DE
I read this topic here on the forums:

well I don't really see it resolved, but it is closed, I hope I can find an answer here.

I have an OpenSuse 11.2 PDC, no problem for XP clients to connect, but OS X always tells me:
"An invalid Domain and Forest combination was sepcified. You should enter a fully qualified DNS name for the domain and forest (e.g., ads.company.com)."

This message appears immediately.

I don't have access to the DNS server her. But I can ping the name from the os x terminal.
I entered the full address as Active Directory Domain, which looks something like that:
servername.psychology.uni-heidelberg.de

How can it be a dns problem if I can ping it? What other options are there? What does os x look for?
Netbios name?

I checked the samba logs and I don't see any attempt to connect.

I also read it could happen if the time is wrong - right now I have the os x right nex to the server and they have exactly the same time (ntp on os x just doens't work). Well it didn't help anything.

I would appreciate any help, I am stuck, some people say it's working, but I just can't figure out how.

You need to set up the proper SRV records for local DNS. Windows clients generally fall back to NetBIOS, but I'm almost certain that Mac OS X does not.

As I said in my other post, I have the appropriate records required for active directory to run in my local DNS and have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back