Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem installing wsus service db remotely to win 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugu

Programmer
Jan 12, 2004
SG
Hi,

I have installed WSUS in windows 2003 web edition and trying to install the db remotely to windows 2003 server standard edition with ms sql 2000 server with service pack 4.

After selecting the instance of the server, i get and error msg that wsus can only be installed in sql server 2000 version not earlier than 3a.And i cant proceed with the installation of the wsus db.

Anybody encountered this problem and managed to resolve it?

The server that i'm trying to install the wsus db is also serving as Domain controller?
Could it be the problem?

Thanks!

-su

Do you have any other versions of SQL installed, even SQL Express ?

The server that i'm trying to install the wsus db is also serving as Domain controller?"
"Could it be the problem?"

Last time I read the docs it said that in a front end / backend environment, neither part could be on a domain controller.

Mark

i have wsus running on a domain controller, in a sbs2003 and server 2003 environment.

On one network I do as well, however, on 3 networks I was NOT successful in getting front end and back end working where one of the servers was a domain controller. In the SBS environment I used it was the DC and when I let it install an MSDE instance no problems. But a FE and BE install where either of them are a DC are destined to fail if you follow the docs to the letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back