Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Installing Windows 2000 Server on Dell 2650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudbolt

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2002
GB
Guys,

I have no experience with RAID or SCSI and this has been bothering me for a week. I have bought a Dell 2650 to put into a rack for some studying. The problem i have is getting Windows 2K to install. When the CD boots i have the drivers for the PERC and it loads these fine. The next step fails as the install says it cannot see the hitachi scsi drives. I thought it might be a driver issue but hitachi have no drivers for these and they are not listed on the Dell Tech Support site. Is there any where that does a run through on how to set up an new server. The RAID settings are very new to me. I have the SCSI's set up in a new container and mirrored but the Bios is not allowing me to create any logical devices. Rather than be spoon-fed here, i'd would much prefer being pointed to a file that i could read and learn from. I've found nothing on the Dell site to explain all the options that the SCSI or RAID controller offers.

Many thanks

Garrett

Hi There,

Have you tried configuring your RAID using DELL supplied CD? One of the CDs you get with your server should be bootable. Just boot the CD and you should be able to configure pretty much anything, including RAID and logical volumes.

I you haven't got the disk, ask DELL for it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back