Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing win 98se maybe its the hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
ok, i've had big problems with 98se lately..

first off, i built the computer.. maybe a year or so ago.. and i installed win 98se.. no problems really.. my system was always a bit buggy.. and would stall and little things like that.. not a big deal, i just had to reboot often (but hey, win 98se is bad when it comes to that)

anyway, the other day i purchased a amd 1.2ghz chip w/new asus motherboard and 512 megs of ddr pc2100 ram.. i installed everything, and i figured it would work just fine.

i tried installed windows.. but it would crash during the "file copy" progress.. most of the time around 15% then it would stall at like 80% and then finally, after like 10 reboots, i got it up and running.. it gets into windows, and then i'm plauged with "registry errors" and then i do the whole scanreg thing,.. and it says that it works.. until a couple more reboots.. and then it says "cannot fix registry, try rebooting" of course.. that didn't fix anything..

so.. i reinstalled it onto another hard drive.. got it working, after a ton of reboots i shouldn't have had to make.. but i got it working.. and then i setting up my screen options with the drivers.. i put "32bit true color" and it would ask to restart.. and guess what.. it would freeze!!! and i'd have to reboot again, and when it would load up, it would reboot automatically.. i've gone through this like 5 times before it gets back into windows, where i check the display settings.. and guess what.. nothing is there..

its driving me crazy!!@#!?

thanks in advance.

What kind of Internet conection are you using?

I have an Internet conection using ISDN modem 128 kb, (Intracom modem), I installed Windows Me with my modem connected in com port 1, The windows installation never ended. I removed the modem from serial port, when I installed sound, video, etc, I installed my modem and It worked just fine, Or could be that your cdrom IS "desaligned" and it DOESN´T read your cdrom disc with enough accuracy.
p.s. Remove all your network adapter and try again.
Your hardware is fine.

Another thing, remove all your cards except your video card I hope you have an AGP card and install the other card in the pci connector avoiding the nearest one to the agp port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back