Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing VB6 under Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 1999
GB
I am having a problem running VB6 Professional on my new Win7 PC

I installed it as suggested by running setup as administrator, but I cannot get it to run without constantly coming against a "Error accessing the system registry" message every time it tries to access my controls/classes I have developed.
I looked through the threads but they all seem to refer to Crystal Reports which I don't use.
As as stopgap, to use it for an important job I needed to do, I have run VB6 ok if I run it as administrator, but that can cause other errors with the IDE (see thread)
Now I have some spare time I want to run it un-elevated, but cannot figure out how to do it.

Any ideas?

The VB6 IDE should always be run elevated. This was even true on XP and Win2K but people got away with just logging on as an admin or power user then.

Steps to map a drive to a network share for an admin user's elevated context:

Log on as the admin user.

Run an elevated command prompt:
[ul]
[li]<winkey>cmd.exe<ctrl-shift-enter>[/li]
[/ul]
Accept the prompt.

Map the drive:
[ul]
[li]use Z \\computer\share * /user:username /persistent:yes[/li]
[/ul]
Enter the password when prompted.

Close the command window.

Grr...

To map the drive type [tt]net use[/tt]

Someday we'll be able to edit posts here!

Egad, let me try this once more. What a mess! You could just look it up or use the help too. Anyway:

[tt]net use z: \\computer\share * /user:username /persistent:yes[/tt]

That should do it (finally).

The point being, your "problem" in that other thread had to do with mapping letters to shares in both user contexts.

Thanks for that (finally!)

I'll just continue to run elevated then.

Hmm--
Why would you want to be writing to the registry in your program?

Why would you assume the OP is trying to write to the registry (and even if they are, why shouldn't they)? They are reporting that VB itself is having problems accessing the registry (which contains a LOT of information that VB and the VB IDE need in order to actually run; for (a trivial) example it is tricky for the IDE to show a list of registered controls without accessing the registry)

Just a stab in the dark!
Because I wouldn't have thought that a Vb6 app just READING the registry would produce an "Accessing error". It might have been be read only - but then .....

I had a similar error when I tried to use an old 16 bit ActiveX in Win 7

<" my controls/classes I have developed.">
I wonder what's in them?

>Just a stab in the dark!

To be fair it is writing that causes the problem; but I just thought I'd check what you were thinking.

Yes, it is the VB IDE generating the errors trying to look up References or Components not my program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back