Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing SBS on new system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I have constructed a new system (Opteron x2, 2 GB RAM, Asus K8N-DL,550w Antec PSU) and set up the OS on a RAID 1 array using the NVidia controller with a RAID 5 array using the onboard Silicon Image 3114 RAID 5 controller. Got the arrays working before after OS intall, but prior to SBS Premium Setup. When intalling, I F6'd the driver for both NVidia & Sil Image, created the arrays at BIOS level, configured the BIOS for the NV array to be the boot array. Converted both drives to Dynamic using Disk Management and all shows up clean in BIOS. All was well.

Updated Windows via Windows Update, then started Small Business Server Setup, went smoothly, asked for disc 2, 3 then Outlook CD, after install of Outlook the system had to reboot, that's when I received the "HARD DISK FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" MESSAGE. Is my whole install hosed? What steps should be taken to keep this from happening again? Should I have waited until completing installation before updating windows? Thanks

Tony

I am not sure what caused that but I would start by making sure your Serial ATA cables (if they are SATA drives) did not come lose. Also make sure the boot order didnt get hosed in the bios.

If that gets you nowhere, you will have to run Setup again from the CD and try to repair the Windows installation.

Not sure what caused it though. Good luck.

Steven Parent [MSFT]

Repair was successful, and I'll bet you are correct about the SATA connectors. I've been swapping drives a lot and could have worn a connector, I'll replace them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back