Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Office 97 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsai

Programmer
Oct 9, 2002
GB
I have just upgraded my pc from ME to XP( clean install) , and have tried to re-install my office '97. I get a message telling me this is an upgrade and I need some qualifying software to complete the installation. I am fairly certain this is not an upgrade, but how can I tell. I had no trouble installing it on ME. The PC came with an original installation of Works Suite and I reloaded this in case this had been the qualifying software for the '97 install. I then tried to reload '97 but again no go.

1/ How can I check if my 97 cd is a full or upgrade edition.( it does not have upgrade written anywhere on it)

2/ If it is full is there any problem with loading it on XP

3/ If it is an upgrade and the reason it loaded on ME was that works suite 2001 was the valid qualifying software why will it no longer load, now that Works Suite has been re-installed.

Thanks

Microsoft are trying to kill programs they made since 2000, a bit like in 1998 you couldnt multiboot 3.1 and 98 without a 3rd party patch.i would say find a patch or get office 2000

Have you a copy of Microsoft publisher, had this problem and Publisher acted as the qualifing software,just a thought?

Here's the tip you need:

Office '97 is not a very smart program; when it asks for a location of a qualifying product, just point the setup program to it's own disc!

Thanks dakota81

Pointing back to itself worked, but not just to the disc, you had to point to the office folder on the installation disc and then it worked, excellent

:eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back