Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem installing java 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilBob

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
US
Recently uninstalled Java (using Revo) before installing latest version. Now, I can download/run it, but keep getting the same error message (Installer can't complete with current internet connections). Having the same problem with 2 other PC's (all running XP). I wouldn't worry about it but same apps & web sites need it. Never had this problem before. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

Are all your PC's with the Java problem accessing the Internet via a common Router? Are they using a common to all Firewall?

could be a winsock issue... could be like Linney mentions, that a firewall or AV is blocking the connection...

to reset the winsock settings to factory default, open a CLI/shell/CMD window/DOS BOX/(etc) and issue the following command:

netsh winsock reset catalog

if that does not help then disable/uninstall temporarily any FW/AV apps...

alternatively go to the following website and download the EXE directly:

What is the offline method for downloading and installing Java for a Windows computer?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Just for the heck of it, before doing the winsock reset, I would clean out temp files with CCleaner and then clean the registry as well (backing up changes before fixing each time until no more errors found).

Then run your reset, reboot.

I guess I was a bit lax on details. Not running thru a proxy. No problems accessing the Internet, downloading other apps & updates, just Java. Ran Ccleaner & registry, still no go. Shut Commodo down & lowered Internet connection settings, no help. All PC's hooked up to same wireless router (2 XP Pro & 1 7). Ben, thanks for the offline download page. I was successful installing Java that way. Will try it later on wife's PC. But I'm still wondering why the error in doing it online. Any other thoughts?

Thanks, Bob

Get the full installer, not the downloading one, that solves most issues like these.

TonHu, two days late on your reply... hmmm...

LilBob, glad that the full EXE worked, and Goom suggested running a registry cleaner, which can help getting rid of loose ends there, which at times can cause problems like you experienced...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back