Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Cisco VPN Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
I'm pulling my hair out over this...

Everytime I try to install Cisco VPN Clinet (v 4.04) on my desktop machine (Dell Dimension 4600, 2.3Ghz, 60 gig HD, 1/2 gig memory) the installation hangs at the "updating your network connections, this may take a few minutes" dialog box.

I've waited for up to 30 minutes before killing the operation. I've tried it when I'm connected to the internet and when there's no connection at all. I have no other VPN clients installed other that Windows Remote Desktop.

I'm pretty knew to this VPN stuff and I'm really flying blind. Can anyone give me any clues at to what the problem might be?

Thanks...

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Are you able to source and try one of the newer releases for VPN client? It's about 2.5 years old the version you are using.

Thanks for the reply Kisco...

Is the newer version backward compatible with the one we're now using?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Make sure you have full have administrative rights. The vpn software needs to install a vpn client connection. This shows up a as a CISCO VPN ADAPTER or similar in network connections when using windows. By defaut it should be 'DISABLED'. Make sure there are no 'cisco*' or 'vpn*' client services running during the install (task manager and/or right-click 'My Computer', then 'Manage' and then 'Services'). Last resort is to remove your current ethernet adapter drivers and re-install unless you are using USB for ethernet connectivity. What type of LAN are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back