Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Installing 2nd Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

majahops

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I am trying to install a 60 GB Maxtor HD. It is my second hard drive, I wish to use it for storage.

When I load windows XP, the plug-and-play icon appears in the lower-right corner, and it says the name of the Hard Drive, says it's installing it, and then finally says:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"
... When I check the device manager, there is an exclaimation point on the icon of the hard drive... And when I click on properties I see the same error message. HOWEVER, the Hard Drive appears in "My Computer" and I can even store things in it, and use it like a regular hard drive... But everytime I restart windows it goes back to the same plug-and-play process and eventual message saying "
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"
I would really appreciate any help with this problem... Here is a list of the things that I have ALREADY TRIED but have not solved the whole "Code 28" error (and I have done these processes correctly, I am sure.)

1) Deleted all partitions on the hard drive.
2) Successfully reformatted the hard drive via FDISK in both FAT32 and NSFT formats (tried each two times).
3) Gone into "Disk Management" in "Administrative Tools" in the control panel of Windows XP and successfully formatted.
4) Visited the Maxtor website and read through all of their instructions.
5) Made sure I have all cables hooked up correctly. (i.e. slave status, etc).
6) Used Maxtor's Maxblast and other hard drive diagnostic tools that have ALL said that my Hard Drive is installed correctly, has no errors, and is running well.

... As I said, the drive is there in "My Computer" and it is working fine, except I have to deal with this message everytime I start Windows, and there is an exclamation point next to it in the Device Manager as I explained.

Please respond as soon as you possibly can. I've been working for quite a while on this. I am sure it's some qwerky solution that somebody out there has dealt with before. I'd really appreciate the help. Everything is seemingly set up correct. I have asked people who know a great deal about what the problem might be, but to no avail. If you can help me. PLEASE do. Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Tim

No. Didn't work. Hopefully it was on the right track though. Anybody else got any ideas? I'd appreciate them SOOO much.

TiM

Is the HDD shown in the BIOS correctly? Sometimes a BIOS-flash do wonders too.

Is the drive recognised correctly in the BIOS setup?
If not you may need to flash upgrade your BIOS.
Go to the motherboard manufacturers website for the latest update or try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back