Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing 2nd gameport!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud888

MIS
Nov 26, 2003
GB
hi all,

I have a gamepad and joystick I want connected at the same time. Both are gameport connectors (not USB) so I thought it would be as easy as installing a second sound card. Unfortunatly not!!

When I install the 2nd card, XP pro recognises it and installs properly (everything OK so far!) and I reboot. This is where the probelms start! My graphic card doesnt kick in and I get a blank screen as soon as Windows is about to appear. I therefore need to reboot and go into the "Last known good config" option to get back into Windows.

From here i have determined that the 2nd sound sard is using IRQ 16 as is the graphics card (what a co-incidence!). I read that XP allows sharing of IRQ's but im not convinced about this so i went to change it in device manager and hey presto, XP has the option greyed out!!! I really do love Microsoft :-(

The only way i can get my display to appear correctly is to disable the device.

Any ideas on how to either change the IRQ of the sound card or get both the graphics card and sound card working together?

Cheers guys

Run a single port (IRQ conflict). They make a "Y" adapter to run multiple joysticks. It is designed so you can play against another player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back