Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROBLEM IMPORTING TABLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

kissarmi

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
US
I need to import/export tables between databases. There is no problem in this working using the Wizard except for the fact that all the 'default value' properties are lost. These tables have up to 300 columns, so this is obviously a big deal. Is there some way to keep these 'default values'? Note: I'm not importing the complete database, just a few selected tables.
Thanks for any help.

The wizard is only for importing and exporting data. Nothing more.

You can use DTS or SSIS depending on your version to import and export objects which is what it sounds like you need to do. Or script the tables and create them that way prior to importing the data

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
You are a amateur developer until you realize all your code sucks.
Jeff Atwood[/sub]

In order get keep the default values and other table meta data you must script out the table and pre-create the table on the second machine.

Then use the wizzard to import the data into the already created table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back