Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem getting to MySQL prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlaJ

Programmer
Jul 21, 2003
US
Newbie here with another problem

MySQL is currently located on my Unix server at /opt/mysql.

At the shell prompt I've tried to type in
mysql -u root -p as well as just mysql. Both give me an error of "ksh: mysql: cannot execute". I am currently in the /opt/ directory and apparently do not yet have permissions to get into the /mysql/ subdirectory. Is the permissions on the directory the problem or is there something else going on? I know MySQL is working because our website forum works off of it and it's running fine.

Help!

The directory in which you run a MySQL application does not matter. MySQL is a client/server database server, with networked communications built in.

The problem is likely that your shell can't find the "mysql" application you're trying to run. You probably have to specify the entire path and executable.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Every path I can think of isn't found. (i.e. /usr/local/bin/mysql)

My only option here is /opt/mysql/ and I don't have permission for it yet.

The sound you just heard was me banging my head on my desk repeatedly. Strangely, it didn't help...

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I need to go nag the Unix admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back