Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem getting non-standard language to display

Status
Not open for further replies.

theburton

Programmer
May 24, 2001
CA
I'm currently putting up a survey in Ukrainian and I'm having trouble getting the characters to display properly. As a test, I've copied the source of this page:

onto my webserver. It currently displays all the characters improperly, even though the source / css is identical. I'm using apache2.0 on Mandrake 9.0. Is there an apache configuration that needs to be set in order to display non-english characters?

The pages are presented to the browser to render in whichever characterset the browser feels is appropriate.

You declare this character set in the web page:
Code:
[COLOR=purple]<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1251">[/color]

I assume the file is saved in this format?

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Ok, well of that I'm not exactly sure. It's entirely possibly that I haven't saved it as that charset.

Basically I was given a word document that was in Ukrainian and told to make it into a survey. Word doesn't seem to have a lot of options with regard to character sets so I downloaded AbiWord which reads word files and converts them.

(
I guess I'm a little confused as to how to convert the document properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back