Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem forwarding mail to an external domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

glirat

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2002
US
We have just replaced our old Exchange 5.5 Server with a new machine. The setup is identical to the old machine, Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Windows NT4 SP6a. All the options are set identical to the old Exchange 5.5 server.

The problem is the new exchange server will not forward messages to an external mail account. There is no error returned to the user, there is no error to be found in any of the logs. This only happens for external email accounts, the server will forward messages to any address inside the domain.

We have been through all the help we can find, checked all the options twice between the old and new servers and everything looks like it should work. We tested the old server again and it forwards the messages fine to any outside domain.

Any help or ideas would be Appreciated.

The key setting is in the properties on the Internet Mail Connector.

On the "Internet Mail" tab, go to "Advanced Options" Make sure the "Disable Automatic Replies to the Internet" check box is cleared.

The Check box for "Disable Automatic Replies to the Internet" is cleared. I have also reinstalled SP4 to see if it would help and still have no luck. I have tried all different solutions I have found and the server still will not forward messages to an outside domain. No error is returned to the user and no error appears in any log file.

Couple of questions:

1. I am assuming you are forwarding out to the Internet. Can your new server get out to the internet using IE?

2. Are the messages staying in the queue and just not going or are they leaving the queue?

We can access the Internet through IE without a problem.

The messages don't show up in the queue at all. We receive messages from the outside without a problem and we can send messages to any address on the outside.

The problem is when the local receipent gets the message, their mailbox is set to forward it to an outside address as well as delivering it to the local address. The message is delivered fine to the local mailbox, but the message never gets forwarded. The check box is marked to delivery the message to both the receipent and the alternate receipent. Message tracking is turned on and we do not see the message ever being generated to go to to the outside address and no error is returned to the sender.

We were thinking of reloading the exchange server, but do not want to go through all of that if it can be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back