Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem forwarding mail out using exim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norwich

MIS
Mar 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a mail server running vanilla exim (debian woody). The connection to the outside world is via an ADSL connection. Mail is brought into the server b using fetchmail. Outgoing mail is via our ISP's mail relay (BT).

Had forwarding for some users using the standard ".forward" files.

It used to work but recently it's started failing because of authorisation errors. Basically, the upstream mail relay is refusing for forward these on as it believes that the mails are being relayed FROM the account the emails were originally from. Eg. a mail from john@doe.com that comes into bob@norwich.com will get delivered to bob's local account but the forwarded copy is refused as our ISP will not relay for doe.com.

(As an aside, this error message is getting frozen as the system can't send the error on for the same reason but that's much of a muchness really).

I tried setting up the forwarding by using the /etc/aliases file and removing the .forward files but with no success.

It looks like our ISP is using the <from> field to find the sender. I thought using this kind of forwarding would rewrite the <envelope-from> and a relay would use that?

Does anyone know how exim rewrites on forwarding, or know of an alternative way to do this.

For additional info, if I read a message on the server with mutt and forward the message on, it will come back with errors. If I use the bounce command in mutt, it goes OK...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back