Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Exporting data to EXCEL spread sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kchinnaswamy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2001
US
Hi

I am trying to import data from Access(97) DB to Excel. It shows an error
DATA TRUNCATED and then it says Couldn't read this file. This is when I try to create a query in Excel to get data from the Access 97 database. Is there any other way to get around this, the database looks fine and I don't see any file problems.

please help

Kumar

I know this problem exists in Access 2000, and it may exist in 97 as well. When you export a REPORT (it does not apply to query), it will truncate text or memo fields (supposedly over 250 characters, but on mine it truncated at 127). The reason is because you're not exporting it as Excel 2000 but as 95. Excel 95 only takes 250 characters.

If you visit the Microsoft web site, you can find a Knowledge Base article (prompted, unfortunately, my query) which may help you out. According to the article, you can supposedly select the file type as 2000, but I've found that it still exports as 95 anyway. There's an option for the report (where you break apart the fields for the export, and then concatenate them back together again in Excel). You can also export it from a query, and the truncation won't be an issue--but your users will have to do a lot of formatting to ready it for use.

Hope this helps.

Linda Adams
Garridon@aol.com
Linda Adams online David Hedison Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back