Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Creating and Deploying .CAB File

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtheis

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I'm having a problem getting my .cab file to work properly when called by the client computer. When I open the web page on the client, the .cab file is called for and a prompt comes up asking if I want to install it. I click OK and it looks like nothing happens. The two DLL files that I wrote that are supposed to be pushed to the client are not there. The DLL that is supposed to be registered on the client is not registering because the objects contained within it cannot be created by the VBS call.

I looked into the .cab, and in the .inf file there is no DestDir specified for my two custom DLLs. I tried to modify the .inf file so that they will install to the specified directory, but after saving the file I cannot add it back to the .cab file. Here's the snip from the .inf file.

Code:
[HTS1Interface.dll]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
RegisterServer=yes
clsid={CE485975-9FE1-432D-8157-42C78E51D307}
DestDir= 
FileVersion=1,0,0,0

[HTS1.dll]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
RegisterServer=no
DestDir= 
FileVersion=0,0,0,0

Any ideas? I'm assuming it's a problem with how I create the .cab file using PDW, but I don't see where I'm missing specifying the destination directories.

I found today that I didn't have my read/write access set correctly and that was causing the problem with deploying the .cab file to the server. Now I can run through that process (so long as I don't try to unpack and install on the server) and it looks ok.

I still have a problem on the client. It is registering the ActiveX DLL that was written, because I am no longer getting an error message that says the web page cannot create the object from my ActiveX DLL. However, it is not copying the other DLL (not ActiveX; it's an old Delphi DLL) from the server to the client. If I manually copy the DLL to the client, everything works great.

I show the Delphi DLL in my .inf file and as far as I know everything looks good there. I just don't know why it isn't being copied to the client. Any ideas? If anyone wants to have a look at the files let me know.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back