Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem creating a print view...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alibabba

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
NL
Hi all,

i have the next problem.
I have 3 forms and now i want to create a print view (i only need some fields from the 3 forms).
form 1 is the "document" and i need 2 fields from this form (they both come on the same line, but that's no problem), form 2 is the response (same story here, also no problem), form 3 is the difficult one. Form 3 is the response-to-response and i want all the fields from form 3 to display under form 2 in the view, but Notes only display's them all on one line and not underneath each other. Does someone know a solution how to do this in a better way or how to solve this.
I also tried to create a print form, but this is no good, because i have multiple response and response-to-response documents underneath the main document.

I hope someone can help me.

Best regards,

Ali Babba

Not sure if I understand, but I try using @If conditions in the column formulas to show a different field based on the form. That will allow multiple columns for a response doc but of course the column widths will need to be suitable for the valuse from the main, response, and resp to resp.
Also you loose the automatic indentation but that can be simulated by making the first or second column blank if it is a response document. Devising column headings could be awkward too. Maybe the main document fields could be inherited into the responses, and only the child documents selected and use categorization to display those values that originally came from a main document. Of course you would not be able to show using hierarchy if you did that.

Maybe my ideas will help you to express your requirements in a way I will understand.

Find me @ onlinecorporatesoftware.com

Hi,

I am not sure I understand your question correctly, so I have 2 guesses towards your question:

Guess 1 is that you want the standard hierarchical behaviour of Notes but it does not seem to work.

Guess 2 is that you want to display each field of form3 on a separate line in the view.

Read on below to see the 2 explanations on how to do this:

1. In case you want the standard behaviour:
If you have a main document and response documents and response-to- response documents then they will be displayed on 3 different lines with automatic indentation.

That is: if you enabled the option "Show reponse documents in a hierarchy" in the view options.

Wrong or insufficient categorization can cause troubles of course. Sometimes you might need to insert hidden columns to get the job done properly.

A good and quick way to see how to do this is to create a new dicussion databases from the standard template. Create a document, response, and response to response in it and now study the design of the views!

2. Second guess:
After reading your question many times again I started to think that you might want to display each field of form 3 on a separate line in the view.

This is not possible without a trick! If you want to do this then you will need to create 1 computed multiple value field on your form that combines all the values of the fields you want to display.
Then in the view column select to display multiple values on new lines in the column properties ("Multi-value separator" = "New Line").
You will maybe need to convert field values of different types to get then all in 1 multiple value field!
This is not so difficult to do and will work fine.

You will need to edit and save each existing document to enable this after adding the field, or you can run a "recalculate" agent to do this in 1 operation for all of your documents.

Hope one of my two guesses is the correct one!

Kind regards,

Dominik Malfait
dominik@amazingit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back