Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem copying large file from WS2003 to external HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmorr34

MIS
Jul 10, 2007
US
I am trying to copy a large windows bakup file to an external harddrive and I keep getting this error: "Cannot copy: insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service". It has nothing to do with the speed of the fileserv. It is brand new. Could it be a caching issue?

Thanks!

The file is about 150gigs and usually transfers with no problem in 1 to 2 hours. Today it has been giving me this error when it is about half way through

I know I have received that message before if the server is low on avalible RAM. I don't know if it is possible but have you tried rebooting the server and then copying the file? How big is your external hard drive and do you normally copy over the previous back up or do you keep a couple days worth of backups? Has anything else changed, new software, hardware, configuration, updates?

Mike Walton
Network+ CCENT
Free Tech Articles at

Verify that the external drive is formatted for NTFS and not FAT32.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Question is.. how are u copying it? Try using robocopy instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back