Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting Win'95 client via TCP/IP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuffMan

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
GB
I've seen a few notes regarding similar problems, but as yet nothing quite the same.
We run a single domain NT network, with a mixture of 95 and NT clients. It has always been a mystery why some machines are missing from the network neighbourhood, and now we think we've figured out why, we are struggling to put it right.
The majority of our machines are running TCP/IP and NETBEUI (some advice that was given to the company to get all the clients onto the network), and, now we want to remove the NETBEUI protocol (to see if it makes a difference to the network neighbourhood) the 95 machine we're using won't connect without it.
The TCP/IP settings are the same as we've set many NT machines up recently, but this particular machine returns the message about the password being incorrect at the login stage. Re-enabling NETBEUI allows the user to log in without a problem.

Incidently, although the machine fails to get onto the domain, I am still able to ping everything I'd expect from the network.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I should look?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

Have you tried to configure and/or review any NT server logs for clues as to logon failures?

Are you certain that the WIN95 computer name, and IP address are indeed unique with same subnet masks? Is there a workgroup name showning in the network identification tab (there shouldn't be)?

If the computer does not have a unique name in the identification tab of networking properties, it will bypass the NT login. This is only valid if you are using WINS with DHCP. This is due to WINS using the computer name to map a NETBIOS identification which is still used under the TCP/IP protocol.

A Google search similar to the following might be helpful here:

Searched English messages for netbeui nt win95 "not tcp/ip " -dial -dialup Results 1 - 24

Thanks for responding vop,
the NT server doesn't show anything in the event log and the machine is trying to connect to the correct domain (not a workgroup). I haven't checked the device name is unique, would Netbeui still let it on with a non-unique name?
We are using WINS with DHCP, so a duplicate name is the first place I'll look.
I'm wondering if clearing out my WINS database and letting it rebuild will fix anything (assuming the machine identification is unique).

Thanks for the URL tip BTW, didn't know about that.
Mark.

>I haven't checked the device name is unique, would Netbeui still let it on with a non-unique name?

Netbeui does not use name configuration parameters. Being the simplest protocol, it either works or doesn't.

With multiple protocols (a possible troubleshooting nightmare), it is difficult to know for sure which protocol is operational or in working condition. Your proof was that Netbeui worked when TCP/IP wouldn't.

>I'm wondering if clearing out my WINS database and letting it rebuild will fix anything (assuming the machine identification is unique).

I doubt that, but I am less clear on this matter.

Found a similar situation which recommended clearing out the WINS database:

Did you reconfigure both cards for the other's address? I assume you did since you can ping. Problem looks to be NetBIOS names based. Mainly looks to be a WINS issue. Are you using WINS? Flush the WINS database (stop it, delete the database in WINNT/system32/wins and then restart.

--------------Problem---------------
Our network has been running TCP/IP for two years, no problem at all. We are running Small Business Server 4.5 with the server doing DHCP. We have two network cards, a 10Mb was connected to our switch, and a 10/100 connected to the internet connection. We decided it would be easier to switch the two cards and get the LAN at 100Mbps and the WAN at 10. After we made the switch, no one could log onto the network. I checked and the computers can all ping the server just fine and they are receiving DHCP IPs. I installed NetBeui on the server and the workstations and all works fine now, but I want to put the network back to nothing but TCPIP. Anyone have a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back