Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to remote site with NEtopia 3341

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagg

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
IE
I have a netopia/cayman 3341 modem and a di604 dlink router. I need to open up a port on the connection to allow dial in for remote access. The port I need to open is 5409. The netopia is has an ip address of 192.168.1.254 and subnet 255.255.255.0. The router has an ip address of 192.168.0.2. The modem is setup for bridging. I cannot seem to get past the modem when it is setup like this. I directly connected the modem to my pc and setup my ip address to be on the same as the modem i.e. 192.168.1.31. When I use the pinhole with this setup everything works ok. But as soon as I introduce the router again, it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Change the d links ip to match the same scheme as the netopia and forward the ports from the netopia to the dlink and then in the dlink forward the ports to the computer to access. The bridge setup should have worked but it is always a headache trying to manipulate those routers sent out by the isps. Consider not using the dlink. I tried setting up a router behind my router modem and it kept causing me remote issues also. I now just use the modem router provided by the isp, couldn't find a good enough reason to have two routers it I wasn't running two different networks.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back