Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to network printer in Win 2000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

palliser2

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
CA
I am unsure if my problem is totally associated with windows 2000 professional but it sure seems that way. I am trying to connect to a network printer. It is just a basic peer-to-peer setup. The printer is a Calcomp Techjet 5336. I was using this printer over the network with win98 and had no problems. I downloaded the latest and greatest drivers for win 2000 and tried to install them locally but got an error message that a file was missing. The file "pscript.dll" is a Microsoft file that is needed to install the drivers properly on w2000. The company that distributes the drivers cannot place the dll file on their site because of copyright infringements with Microsoft. Microsoft does not have these files on their site for download.

It gets confusing and very frustrating because the files which are needed to install these drivers do not even come with Windows 2000 Professional but are located on the Windows NT 4 install disks.

Finally I was able to load the drivers but now another error message that I need help to resolve. The message is “ the files installed are not valid for the selected architecture”. I was in contact with the support desk for the printer but they want to charge too much money to help me resolve this problem. They did however suggest that I was not choosing the correct printer. I have tried every printer on the list that remotely resembles ours but to no avail. I keep get the same message every time. Any ideas???

Have you physically connected the printer to the W2K machine, installed all the drivers, tested the printer - then tried to connect via the network? You have omitted the
ake and Model of printer.

1. Maybe a silly question, but are you running this as an Administrator?

2. Do you have service pack 2 installed? If it's the latest and greatest driver it may be looking for more recent versions of windows system files. If you search for the file and find it, this is likely the problem.

3. If you search for this file and can't find it - try installing the printer as an HP Laserjet III (your win2k cd may be required), then delete it and try adding it as what it actually is again. Installing it as the HP printer should add the missing postscript files.

Marc Creviere

The nearest W2k dll I can locate is the pscript5.dll, this is installed with the AppleLaser Writer or I guess any postscript printer - this is a std W2K dll that comes on the disk.

Hope this helps

I figured out my problem. I needed to add a new print processor. T.G.I.F it's been a long day....
Cheers,
Kelly :)

Hey Kelly,

I was just reading the thread and wondered what you did to add the new print processor? That sounded a lot like a problem I used to have, but never really did get a good solution to the problem.... I was networked btw win2k and 98, with the printer on my 98 machine.

Thanks,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back