Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to internet ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

fj62alex

MIS
Jul 24, 2006
US
Hi,

I am totaly puzzled. For some reason I cannot connect to the internet. I have an older PC (AMD 1.0GHZ with 30GB HDD and 512MB memory). It's running Win XP Pro. I checked everything (Network ddrivers and its look fine. I connected the network cable directly from the Cable Modem to the PC and tried to boot it up. I couldn't. It froze after getting to a desktop (all icons there and mouse is frozen). Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Also tried to renew an IP address and it didn't work either. DHCP is enabled.

Thanks,
Alex

Cable Modem's have a tendancy of giving out only 1 IP address per reboot. Try to shut down both computer and Modem (make sure that you SHUT DOWN, like pull the power, on the modem, not just put it in "standby" mode). Power on the modem, wait 1 min, then power on the PC. Should do the trick.

Give the modem at least a couple of minutes with power removed, so that the capacitors on its circuit board and in the PSU completely decay to zero.

However, I'm not convinced that will solve the issue with the freezing, but give it a go first...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Try booting the PC by itself without being connected to anything. Does the freezing still occur?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Try removing and readding the nic from device manager.

Has this machine ever connected to the Internet via your present setup? If it is a recent failure, maybe System Restore can help you?

Do you have any connection via "Safe Mode with Networking"?

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

call tech service - thats their job too. you re paying for it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back