Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to database

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
I had WSS 2.0 installed and now Im installing Portal 2003 on top of WSS. Im getting stuck in the "Specify configuration seetings for Sharepoint site". It gives me "Database connections", "Configuration database Server", Configuration Database Name". I can't get passed this screen no matter what I choose. It gives me an Unexepected error occured. I was running WSS with SQL server. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi,

Are you trying to create a new database or to connect to an existing one?

/Thomas

I was trying to connect to an existing one...but even if i create a new one it wont let me go pass that screen.

This is weird..

I have an Server which I am trying to install SPS03 on. I Joined it to the AD domain. The sequel server, AD domain controller and the Sharepoint server are all ruinning in the same network. Why am I still having trouble to connect to configuration database. I get an "Unexpected error" or "Error accessing database. Verify that the database server name and the instance name (if present) are correct. Also, ensure the configuration database administration account has sufficient permissions on the server or instance and the service corresponding to your SQL Server instance is running." no matter what i do. Any ideas? [sad]

Is the server a member server ? This may sound odd but it states on one of the screens that the sharepoint accountyou use during the install needs to be a member of the local power users group. I had issues even when I was using the local admins group. Also make sure that account has database creator and account security operator on the SQL box. Hope this helps

Yea Ski,

What i was missing was the Database creator and Account security. Also I created a user on the SQL account (Admin from AD). Thanks bro.

-MC

TechMC, I'm having the same problem. When I try to connect to the SQL Server I get the error, "Unexpected error occurred". I created the user on the SQL Server, gave the user the rights to create db and the security rights as well. I'm missing something because I'm still getting the error. Help!

Did you create a LOCAL user account on the SQL server as well? An Admin account from either your AD or NT domain.

After that, in security (SQL Server), you have to specify Server Roles. I gave mine Account Administrator and Database Creator.

Also, make sure that in your Sharepoint Server you have the proper host file and IPs mapping to proper servers.

Are you trying to connect to an existing DB? Let mw know if you need more help.

I created a local account under computer management, users. I went into SQL enterprise manager, security, logins, and created a login account in the same name as the sharepoint admin. Under the login account, I assigned all the roles. Under the access databases, I allowed access to the Database, (SharePoint_db) I created.
Still having the same problem.

You did everything right....

Only thing I can think of right now...
From the Sharepoint Server, can you ping the SQL by host name? When "Connecting to Configuration databse", it wont allow IP.

Also, does it allow you to atleast create a Database instead of connecting to an existing one?

Sorry, all I got now Bud, Ill do more research.

-MC

I'm trying to connect to SQL Server from the Specify Configuration Database Settings page in SharePoint. Should I create a database? I assumed that sharepoint is just trying to connect to the SQL Server master's database, No?

Ok here's what worked for me
Install your 2003 server as a member server in a domain
logon to server as administrator in the domain
Create a Sharepoint service account in your domain
If you don't have SQL 2000 install it now and SP3 it
use windows authentication as the security method
Under security in SQL create a new login and pick out your newly created sharepoint service account user and on the roles tab give it security administrators and database creators permission
Install Sharepoint server
wherever you are asked for a user account specify the sharepoint service account! Especially when you get to the connect to SQL server and create database screen. This wil then create the config database, the content database, profile and site database.
Once you are past this then you need to finish off the server settings for job, index and search roles.
Any questions please ask!

I'm trying to connect to SQL Server from the Specify Configuration Database Settings page in SharePoint. Should I create a database? I assumed that sharepoint is just trying to connect to the SQL Server master's database, No?"

Its trying to connect to a Database thats already there if you did a prior installation of sharpoint in the past. Create a new one if there is no existing database in the SQL server.

Hello,
I've installed WSS on the web server and have sql 2000 running on another server. I've followed the instuctions in the help file configuring the setup.
I'm getting a login failure connecting to the database. What's puzzling is that the error reports the login name as "domain\computer$" of the web server. How can I get it to use the domain user account that I have setup with the proper permissions? I can't seem to get the application pool settings correct. Any help is appreciated.

-WB

Guys, I made it...I connected to my SQL Server with SharePoint :) I did what skimmingtonr did, logged in as administrator on both systems. That's it.
Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back