Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting to an IP address with Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesj1968

Programmer
Sep 3, 2005
GB
Hi

I am on a network domain called "COMPANY". When I log on to my machine to the domain as my own username "lesj" I can double click the Remote Desktop icon and remotely access any machine by typing the ip address and everything works with no problems. However when I re-log into my own machine again but this time as administrator, again logging into COMPANY domain - I try to type in an IP address on the Remote Desktop dialog box it automatically turns into a drop down list with a list of machine names on our server. For some reason it does not let me enter any IP addresses. Why is this, and why is it I can do it when I log in as my own name "lesj" but not as Administrator?

When I re-log into my own machine as Administrator, but this time instead of logging on to the COMPANY domain, I log on to the machine name, I can then go on to use the Remote Desktop and type IP addresses in - but it does not work as previously described above when I log on to the COMPANY domain.

Please can anyone help me resolve this problem. Is there a setting I need to adjust?

Many thanks for any help.

Les

Have you tried navigating to the Remote Desktop Connection shortcut on the communications menu? Off the tops of my head, maybe the one on your Administrator desktop is saved with those options but the on your normal account is a direct shortcut.

Just a thought, I could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back