Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem connecting LaserJet 4L to new IMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmeljacques

Technical User
Dec 18, 2006
US
I have a HP LaserJet 4L printer that I would like to connect as a second printer to my IMAC. I was advised to get a USB Parallel Printer Adaptor to connect the parallel port on the printer to a USB port on my IMac. Before connecting the printer I downloaded the driver and driver installation software from HP. The instructions say to open the Printer Setup Utility, choose add printer, choose a connection type (e.g., Bonjour, AppleTalk), select the printer from the printer list, and click add printer to create the printer queue. When I attempt to choose AppleTalk I get a message that I need to activate AppleTalk by going to Network Preferences and click the AppleTalk tab and then click make Appletalk active. There was no Appletalk tab under Network Preferences but I was advised to click Built-in Ethernet and check "make AppleTalk active." I did this but I'm still getting an error message that says "no AppleTalk printers are available because AppleTalk is not active." Is it possible that the problem has to do with the fact that all my USB ports are in use? I am reluctant to disconnect my primary printer to see if this solves the problem for fear that I will mess something up and wind up with no printer at all. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If you're connecting with an adapter to go from the Parallel Port on the printer to the USB port on your MAC, you shouldn't have to worry about Appletalk;

Once you've installed the drivers for the USB/Parallel adapter, and once you've installed the printer setup disk, you should be able to select the port to print to in your chooser.

You should only have to worry about Appletalk if you're setting it up as a network printer.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly exchanged his dilithium crystals for new Folger's Crystals." -- My Sister
--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back