Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROBLEM!!! Computer resets by itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzmo

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
AU
Hello...my name is Paul.
To get to the point my problem is that my computer restarts by itself anytime it wants. Most of the time it happens when I press the keyboard. Please help...it gets annoying!

It's been my experience, that most computers that suddenly restart on their own is caused by a faulty power supply. It can easily be checked by hooking up a digital multimeter into the back side of the motherboard power connector and watching to see if the voltage is actually changing when the PC restarts.

If the power supply seems fine, then I usually suspect one of the voltage regulators on the motherboard (in which case the motherboard is going bad). I have also seen software and hard drive failure issues cause this problem as well, but usually the PC provides you with some sort of error message when that happens.

Hope this helps (it should at least give you a starting point to troubleshoot from).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back