Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem communicating with 56k modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiwicked

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
hello
i am running windows ME and i am having a problem getting my 56k modem to work on a 500mhz celeron
the modem is installed and i am sure that it works ( i tried it in a different computer)

i installed the modem and the drivers, and everything seems to be in order save one thing

the modem is installed on COM2 and if i go into the modems properties, go to the diagnostics tab, select the modem and click more info, it says that it cannot open the port

now, i do not have anything attached to this computer and it is completely clean, meaning i just formatted it

if i switch the modem over to COM1, and try to do the same thing as before, it says the modem failed to respond. make sure it is properly connected and turn on. if it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set.

not sure what that error means, and i dont know why it cannot open the port

can anyone help?

look for the serial ports in the system settings. try disabling them. make sure the com ports are active in the bios also. and if there is a setting for PNP OS,or plug and play OS,turn it off and let the system board decide how to share the irq's.

I shall use google before asking stupid questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back