Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Cloning a Windows 3.1 Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcdanielj

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2015
US
Hello,

My company has two old PC's that run Widows 3.1 and a software on it that controls machinery. One of the hard drives completely went out. The software is obsolete and we have no install disks. So what I attempted was to clone the good PC's Hard Drive to a new hard drive using Acronis Disk Director.

The clone went through but what I found is I am unable to boot to the new drive. After the post it does attempt to launch from the hard drive but I simply get a flashing cursor. Were this a Windows XP or newer machine I would try fixing the system files or the master boot record. Being a Windows 3.1 image I am not sure how to proceed to try to fix the boot problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Daniel

floppy work on both machines? If so, format on the working one a floppy to use as a system disk then add the system files and sys file. Boot with it on the other one. Then sys c:. (which you will have put in place.

That will transfer the 3 files it needs to boot.

Any you probably need to get a couple more hard drives and clone them then test them. Better to be prepared.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

After you manage to clone it, can you consider running the whole OS and software in a virtual machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back