Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Clean Installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraswan

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
GB
I've been trying desperately to install XP from DOS using the boot disk method but I always get an error when executing the setup.

I used the XP boot disk from and I went to the *:\i386 folder on the WinXP installation CD (in DOS), I typed "winnt" and executed it. The familiar blue coloured setup screen appeared, but with an error message:

"An Internal Setup error has occurred

Could not find a place for a swap file

Setup cannot continue"

Any ideas to how I can solve this problem?

TIA

Why are you installing from dos? Booting PC from the XP install CD is the best way. If you have a problem booting from Cd, you could try the 6 floppy startup disks to initiate the installation. You can download them from same site
I've not installed XP from dos - but various posts suggest you need smartdrv installed for it to run properly. I wonder if you also need formatted drive space (does your drive have this - or is it new/blank waiting to be partitioned/formatted)?

Answers to questions: -

My PC can't boot from CDROM, my hard disk is formatted to NTFS and has 900mb of free space.

Sorry for not including such detail initially, hope this clears things up.

Thanks, again.

900mb of free space is not enough for XP to install into.

if you want to boot from a floppy disk then goto microsofts home page and download the xp disk set from them! its 6 disketts long and works a treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back