Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem calling an onchange event with dropdown menu in div

Status
Not open for further replies.

spastica

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
GB
i have a dropdown menu that is contained in a div. when the user selects "other" from this dropdown menu, a function is called onchange and a textbox contained in a seperate div automatically shows up.

this works fine in explorer, but is not working in netscape or firefox.

if i take the dropdown menu out of the div, everything works fine in all 3 browsers.

what could be the problem? i know it must be something to do with the dropdown being in a div, but i can't take it out of the div because it can only show up when the user selects a radio button option, and must be hidden if the user does not select the radio button.

here is what i have:

<!-- javascript function -->

<script language="JavaScript">

// FUNCTION TO SHOW REFINANCE:OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY) BOX IF "OTHER" OPTION IS SELECTED UNDER REFINANCE - PURPOSE
<!--
function showRefiOtherbox(formData)
{

document.mtgapp.natureOfMtg[1].checked

if(formData=="Other")
{
document.getElementById('refiPurpose_OtherBox').innerHTML = "Please specify: <input maxlength=\"60\" size=\"15\" type=\"text\" name=\"refiPurpose_Other\">";
}
else
{
document.getElementById('refiPurpose_OtherBox').innerHTML = "";
}

}
// -->
</script>

<!-- div for the refi purchase other box -->

<div id="refiPurpose_OtherBox" class="mainbodytext" style="position:relative; left:290px; top:20px; width:250px; height:0px; z-index:1;">

</div>

<!-- div containing the dropdown menu - it also has asp but this is not what is interfering with the code -->

<div id="refiPricePurch" class="mainbodytext">

Purpose for refinance:
<select name="refiPurpose" onChange="showRefiOtherbox(this.form.refiPurpose.value)">
<option value="" <%call chkDropDown("refiPurpose", "")%>>Select an option</option>
<option value="Debt Consolidation" <%call chkDropDown("refiPurpose", "Debt Consolidation")%>>Debt Consolidation</option>
<option value="Home Improvements" <%call chkDropDown("refiPurpose", "Home Improvements")%>>Home Improvements</option>
<option value="Other" <%call chkDropDown("refiPurpose", "Other")%>>Other</option>
</select>
</div>

Suggestions:

Change your function to this:

Code:
function showRefiOtherbox(formData) {
    var o = document.getElementById('refiPurpose_OtherBox');
    if (formData == "Other") {
        e.style.display = '';
    } else {
        e.style.display = 'inline';
    }
}

Change your [tt]<div>[/tt] to this:

Code:
<div id="refiPurpose_OtherBox" class="mainbodytext" style="position:relative; left:290px; top:20px; width:250px; height:0px; z-index:1; display: none;">
Please specify: <input maxlength="60" size="15" type="text" name="refiPurpose_Other">
</div>

And the call to your function to this:

Code:
<select name="refiPurpose" onchange="showRefiOtherbox(this.value)">

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back