Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem burning copy of Documents and Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

WondersWhy

Technical User
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi,
I am trying to do a backup of my Documents and Settings and having troubles in Windows XP Home Edition. I have created a folder for my burnable CD on my E drive. When trying to copy My Documents and Settings to this folder I get the error message "The destination folder is a subfolder of the source folder." as if I was dropping the drag back into a lower folder. I am not doing that... for gosh sakes, it is on an entirely different drive.
The thing that I am most interested in is capturing my email folder that is hidden way down below in My Documents and Settings. I am trying to prepare for a complete wipe clean to solve some USB port problems (they are not being recognized).
Thanks a TON to anyone who can help!!!!
Tony T. in Mpls.

I probably shouldn't be the first to respond to my own message, but in case anyone does a search on XP and USB, I am VERY GLAD to share that if your USB ports conk out and all else seems to fail, BEFORE you do a re-install, try removing your cards and putting them in different slots. I moved my modem and NIC cards and fixed my root problem where my digital camera and wireless mouse were not recognized! Moving the cards must have caused the computer to totally re-assess the registry.
I also was successful in copying my individual email folders to my burnable CD ROM, so I am not so worried about the problem with the error message stated on my original note (trying to move the whole user environment folder including emails deep in the subfolders). If anyone knows why I was getting the error though, I would be glad to know!
It's a good day! Tony T. in Mpls.

Just a thought even though you have moved the CD burning folder, has XP re created it in its original position, like it does with many important files. Also did you look at the files and transfer wizard for saving the settings (including emails etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back