Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem booting to single user in Solaris 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperJan

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2004
GB
Hi
We are having problems booting to single user on a V240 server running Solaris 10.

The messages which appear on the console are:

init: Could not duplicate legacy template - bad file number
init: Could not duplicate startd template - bad file number
init: Could not duplicate process bundle - bad file number
booting to milestone/singleuser default
enter root password......

When we try to enter the root password the keyboard does not work and we cannot type anything or break out. Not sure whether the keyboard or the server has hung. We have to power off to reset.

We are new to Solaris 10 so we are scratching our heads at the moment. Had a look at the service instances using svcs, and compared the result with another Solaris 10 server, but cannot find anything obviously wrong.

Can anyone tell me why we are getting these error messages?

Thanks

I am just guessing, but are you using Veritas or Disksuite?
To get a EBADF at a low level seems like the conception of root might be screwed up.

Hi,

Did you resolve this problem as I am have a similar problem with our V240 ????

Thanks

Hi

We eventually passed this to Sun and at first they said they would change the system board with the latest OBP. Then we got an email from another Sun engineer, see below:

Checking the explorer i notice the following in the etc/system:
"set rlim_fd_cur = 128"

Why the errors:
It means the legacy,startd, etc ... templates *are* created but trying to duplicate their fd as 256 fails, because of the setting in the /etc/system.

You can comment the line out or use the default. By default with Solaris 10 the rlim_fd_cur is set to 256.

This line had been put in by our third party software guys for the Progress database. We took the line out and hey presto the server booted to single user with no problems at all. I owe that engineer a pint !!!

I hope this helps with your problem.

Regards
Janis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back