Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem after a trojan attack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBroad

Programmer
Feb 1, 2021
CA
It has been years since I have posted here. I used to be a poster on Crystal reports under the name Ngolem or Naamplao...but I forget my login from back then

My problem is I have a Windows7 Pro operating system that was attacked via a trojan. I was told by a pop-up to phone a number to have it fixed... It looked like a Microsoft response so stupidly I dialed the number and thought I was dealing with Microsoft.

I know...I know...I was stupid but I was caught up in the emotion....what's done is done.

They supposedly fixed my computer and in truth it ran like a new computer...until i shut it off. A few hours later, when I booted the computer it hung up when trying to install windows updates....I turn the computer off by cutting power twice...on rebooting same problem....I then rebooted in safe mode I got it running but it was VERY slow.

Then I did what I should have done at the beginning and took it to a reputable computer company, Memory Express in Calgary.

They tried to run my computer on the srvice desk in front of me but I saw a message saying it could not install the driver for their keyboard and mouse.... That was weird to me as my mouse and keyboard worked 30 minutes earlier.... Then I remember seeing a screen when the so-called fixeer was working on my computer remotely and it displayed my windows functions and fully half of them were disabled...one of them was allowing uploads or to that effect.

So I went back home a brought them my keyboard and mouse and sure enough they worked.... or at least my keyboard worked.

So now I am told my computer is free of threats and can pick up my machine but their mouse and keyboard does not work still.

My question is..... How can I access that screen that shows all the Windows7 functions and whether they are active or not.

I am getting the run around about this.

Any help will be appreciated... I am picking up the computer in an hour

Jim

START RUN SERVICES.msc

But I think you should forget about "fixing" your Windows installation. First, you shouldn't be running Windows 7 at this point. Second, if you must keep this pc and windows 7, you should just do a reload from scratch. I would get your data off and then wipe the drive using a bootable tool. Then reinstall. Then restore data. Don't fool around with malware than COULD remain resident.

I would say it's a perfect time to justify a new or refurbished Windows 10 PC. Don't put humpty dumpty back together again when he needed replacing in the first place.

I hear you regards window7 I had a trusted local service look at this and they cleaned it up but there is a mystery that I can describe better now.

Initially after the attack all my USB ports would not work for my mouse and keyboard. When the technician used restore to bring the computer back to the point before the attack, the mouse functioned fine but the keyboard was erratic...it is working fine right now but it is a crapshoot when I start my day.

I have a second old HP computer with a functioning keyboard..... when I swap out the original keyboard for the perfectly functioning one... the computer cannot fine the driver and gives me a message as such. Other devices work using the 5 usb's that this machine has... it is only the keyboard that is flakey.

Right now the keyboard is working fine but does this help narrow down the issue?

Not really. This is the kind of thing where I need to be able to see, hear, touch, smell? the situation/problem.

You may have a motherboard hardware problem. You could upgrade to Windows 10. It's still free. Do a fresh install and delete all existing partitions as part of the install. Backup your data first, obviously. Use your Win 7 key code when asked for a key code.

If that doesn't fix the problem, dump the computer.

I think you are probably right...It may be a Motherboard problem. As I said my mouse is no problem no matter which USB port I use. However my keyboard ONLY works in a single USB. I have been tying from this keyboard now for 2 days with no problems now. I will probably replace this computer in the near future but not at this point. I don't want to trust fate by upgrading to Windows 10 either as currently I have a computer functioning within limits. I have an external HD for back up so I will complete that exercise soon.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back