Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem adding second hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

p27br

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
GB
hi,

i bought a 80gb hdd to my computer which has a 4gb hdd, running windows me.
I took out the 4gb hdd and installed the 80gb onto which I installed windows Me. I then installed back the 4gb hdd as slave but when I open explorer, I can't see the contents of the drive ! It still has windows installed and data on it.
I ran a scandisk which says the file sytem isn't recognized.
I tried installing this drive back as master and taking out the new one, it is recognized by bios but then I get the message 'non system disk', please replace and reboot

thanks in advance for your help

Make sure your new HDD has its jumpers set to 'master with slave' and old drive to 'Slave'.

hi

when i boot up, on the first black & white screen, the drives are correctly recognized as master & slave .
i thought there were only three settings possible for the jumpers : master,slave and cable select?

Some drives have separate settings for single drive on the cable and for 2 drives sharing cable.

If you boot from ME/9x boot floppy, can you access the drive? And if you run fdisk, what does it say about drive?

hi

how do i see if mine does have separate settings ?
i don't have a boot floppy.
how should i run fdisk ?

thanks !

How did you know how to set them in the first place? Drives often have jumper settings printed on them. And you should be able to get them from the manufacturer's website.

You can download an app to create a boot floppy from
You can run fdisk from the boot floppy (once you have one) or from a dos box in ME.

If they have the same operating system you should be able to read them. You have to set the drives up in the BIOS and the boot order. You have to set the jumpers on the back of the drive (Master/Slave/Cable Select). What operating system do you have on each and what is their position on the IDE ribbons?

Primary Master
Primary Slave
Secondary Master
Secondary Slave

The master device for the secondary and the primary ide cables should be on the end of the cable and not in the middle. The middle spot is for the Slave device. Make sure the red mark on the side of the IDE cable goes to the # 1 Pin closest to the Power Connector. If you get it reversed the results may be chaotic.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

If the bios is happy with; finds the two drives, then the cables and jumpers are OK.

If the BIOS finds a drive but it will not boot, the drive probably has been corrupted or erased, but check for 15/16 sector jumpers that would reorganise the drive sectors, making it "corrupt".

If the BIOS detects it in the correct order and both drives show up in explorer but you can't view it then it's either corrupt or deleted the partition on it. Try taking the new one out and putting that old one back in as single drive master and see if it boots.

What's the make of your drives. There's an application available to check if you have the correct jumper settings on them.

hi

this doesn't sound good. The jumpers and cables must be correct because both drives are detected but the old one doesn't boot (Error is : Non system disk,please replace and press any key). this error occurs whenever I connect the old drive as unique master drive or together with the new drive as master and slave.
how could the drive get corrupt ?? Is there a way to repair it ?
the 4GB is a Hitachi and the 80GB is a Sanyo.

The old one (4Gb) has never had any disk compression utilites installed has it? I have seen the "Non system disk,please replace and press any key" when auto-detecting a compressed drive (in the bios) also if the disk was originally set using odd settings for sectors, heads and the like, setting it to auto detect and it detecting different settings and make the orginal partition unreadable, and make the drive look either corrupted or blank - and the only way to read it is to revert back to the orginal settings (difficult if they are not saved) or fdisk and format...

I was setting up a drive the other day and set the Jumper wrong. Some drives have diagnostic settings and it kept reporting the drive as there but it only showed like 8 Megs for a 40 Gig Drive. I finally took the WD drive out and figured it out by studying all the different possible settings.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

You could temporarily try the old drive as master on the second channel to see if you could get both drives up to copy files from the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back