Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem adding second DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
Setup: 1 PDC Win2K, 1BDC NT (staying the BDC until I have AD setup completely), 4 Win2K member servers

I know this has to be a DNS issue with my main PDC but I can't figure it out.

My PDC used to be a NT 4.0 server with the domain name XXX_NT. I have upgraded it to Win2K and it has ADS running now with the DNS name of If I run NSLookup on this machine, I receive no errors. If I run NSLookup on the Win2k server I want to become a second DC, I receive no errors.

When I run the ADS wizard or dcpromo on the Win2K server that will be the second DC, this is what happens:

-Select additional domain controller for existing Domain
Next
-Type in user name, password, and Domain (XXX_NT)
Next
-Enter full DNS name for Domain (Note: it has already placed in the text box)
if I choose Next or even if I browse and it sees the DNS name and places it in the text box and I choose Next I get an error ....... could not be contacted.....
If I put in XXX_NT and hit Next,
I get the message that the domain name XXX_NT refers to Is that was you intended? I choose OK and ....I get
-Database and Log locations
Next
-Shared System Volume
Next
-Password
Next
I get the summary screen and I choose Next
then
I get the Window with "Configuring Active Directory" and it starts ..
after 5 seconds I get the error
"...failed finding a suitable domain for the domain could not contacted"

Any ideas

helo cmarch1,

Got some idea ...
How many NIC interfaces do you have on the BDC and wich interface is the primary one ?
Once determined the answer to that question, what's the primary DNS adress for the primary NIC interface ? Is it your ISP one or your internal one ?
Normally, it has to be your internal one. That is ?
Follow up and tell me...

@+
Benj Le Kangooru.

I only have one NIC installed. My Primary DNS address is internal. But does the BDC (being NT) have anything to add to the problem?
NOTE: Just realized that my PDC only had SP1 while all other Win2K servers have SP2. Just finished adding SP2 to the PDC. Could that have had anything to do with it?
How do I run netdiag?

I've experienced this one before. The problem lies in what you tell the wizard to be the full domain. Note that " is not actually the full DNS name for the domain, but rather the FQDN for the host " The actual full DNS name is just "XXXinternal.org".

Try entering just "XXXinternal.org" at the DNS name prompt (Even though it pre-populates it with " and it should work.

Pat Thompson, MCSE
Infinite Imaging Systems, Inc.
pthompson@infiniteimagingsystems.com

I've experienced this one before. The problem lies in what you tell the wizard to be the full domain. Note that " is not actually the full DNS name for the domain, but rather the FQDN for the host " The actual full DNS name is just "XXXinternal.org".

Try entering just "XXXinternal.org" at the DNS name prompt (Even though it pre-populates it with " and it should work.

Pat Thompson, MCSE
Infinite Imaging Systems, Inc.
pthompson@infiniteimagingsystems.com

Pat Thompson, MCSE
Infinite Imaging Systems,Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back