Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem activating window xp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubees

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello all,
I am having compaq PC and it came with Windows XP operating system loaded and I was not provided with any reinstallation cd. I bought this 5yrs ago. It was working good until recently got screwed up big time. I was forced to reinstall the operating system(windows xp service pack1) with cd I got when I bought my Dell laptop.
It worked fine for some days and now its not allowing me to boot its asking me to activate windows.

I failed to activate it by internet so I tried to activate it via phone. It says that the product key supplied by the seller is incorrect and asks me to reinstallwith right product key. Later I realized the cd I got with my dell laptop said said that it should only be used with Dell computers, not others.

My question is how should I get over this problem, Do I have to buy a freshh copy of XP operating system software or is there any other alternative?

please help me with any solution that is cheaper than buying the software.

Thanks in advance,
nubees

What about contacting Compaq to see if they can supply you with a replacement CD at some small cost to you?

"Replacement Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or System Builder software media.

To replace OEM or System Builder software media, contact the OEM where you acquired the software. To determine whether the software is an OEM or System Builder version, follow these steps:"

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Hello!

I agree with linney, the first thing I would try is to recover a boot CD from Compaq...

Then if this would not work and if you have to buy yourself a Windows copy, I would choose an OEM version or, if you plane to change one of your computer soon, a Professional version because the professional version enables you to use your copy on 1-2cpu[/u].

Good luck :)

Csab

Yes I am a MAC lover, and so what :)

Many Compaqs have a restore partition that is activated by pressing F10 at bootup. This is why they don't provide the cd's. You might see if you can reinstall it that way. It should give you the option of a repair install or a complete rebuild (in which case you would lose your data).

Thank you all for your input.
But I already installed another new copy of Windows XP operating system supplied by Dell, I am not sure If I still have my old operating system intact to recover from the compaq cd.

I do have compaq recovery cd though.

sorry it took me so long to get back to thhis thread. Hope you could still help me..

I tried using recovery console and did a user backup. When I used that recover cd it gave me options like userbackup, user restore, factory restore.. As I do not want to totally format my pc I used user backup. I was not able to use user restore coz this is the first time I am using user backup.

After doing all that I restarted but I am still asked for Windows Product Activation

Can you guide me how i should proceed for next step?

'Factory Restore' is the option to use from the Compaq recovery CD. It will take the PC back to the same state as originally supplied and use the OEM version keyed to the correct Product Key (which, on Compaq's, is usually on a sticker right next to the Compaq sticker showing the serial number of the unit).

As you have already re-installed the operating system once (using a Dell-supplied CD), I assume you have already got your data stored somewhere so it can be restored afterwards.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back