Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem accessing Eng-Tips website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deniall

Technical User
May 15, 2011
Australia
rmniall.com
My apologies in advance for posting this on what is probably the wrong forum, but it looked to me like the least inappropriate.

I am a long-time regular user of both this Tek-Tips site and its companion site Eng-Tips.[ ] About 12 hours ago, after working fine only a few hours earlier, my ability to connect to Eng-Tips suddenly ceased and was replaced with the message:
[ ][ ][ ]This page isn't working.
[ ][ ][ ] redirected you too many times.
[ ][ ][ ]Try clearing your cookies.
[ ][ ][ ]ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

I tried clearing cookies, and also a few other things suggested by Prof Google, all to no avail.[ ] I switched from the Chrome browser to the Edge one, but the problem persisted.[ ] I tested Tek-Tips and (obviously) it was working fine.[ ] I went to the computer of a friend who has never been either a Tek-Tipper or an Eng-Tipper, and had exactly the same problem.

So I assumed that the problem must be at the Eng-Tips end, and went to bed in the expectation that it would be fixed by the time I got up this morning.[ ] Not so.[ ] Things remain exactly as they had been last night, including non-access from my friend's computer.[ ] Furthermore, when I opened up my email system there were several messages from Eng-Tips advising me that more posts had been added to the thread I had been engaging with when the problem first arose.[ ] This casts doubt on my assumption that the problem lies with the site.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on.[ ] The slender evidences I have been able to unearth seem self-contradictory.
» Where does the problem probably lie?
» What might the remedy be?

[sub][ ]—————————————————————————————————[/sub]
[sup]Engineering mathematician/analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.[/sup]

As a bit more evidence that the above problem is not restricted to something on my particular computer setup, a few minutes ago I attempted to log into Eng-Tips using my Android mobile phone.[ ] This triggered pretty much exactly the same error message.

[sup]Engineering mathematician/analyst.[ ] See my profile for more details.[/sup]

Many thanks, Mike and Strongm.[ ] It's nice to know that I am not being ignorant or stupid.[ ] In this matter at least.

I have already lodged a message at engineering.com, doing it a few minutes before initiating this thread.[ ] The message was pretty much along the same lines as above, but I was not sure that it was the right place at which to do the lodging.

A couple of hours ago I also contacted another Eng-tipper via email, Doug Jenkins who goes by the handle "IDS".[ ] (He runs a very useful web site, and I got his email address from that.)[ ] He replied that he was not having the problem, but he found something somewhere that gave the following personal account.[ ] (The "I" below is not Doug, but his source.)
----------
I cleared all the cookies from Eng-tips and cleared the cache - nothing doing.[ ] My original bookmarked site and home page still doesn't work.
HOWEVER, doing a search and then clicking on a forum does!, but clicking on the main site doesn't ?!?
So now I'm signed in and just saved the bookmark as the same plus/threadminder.....
How weird is that?”
That might be worth trying.

----------

So I (Deniall again now) tried the same approach and it worked for me too.

It's a very cumbersome work-around, but at this stage beggars can't be choosers.[ ] Hopefully it will also work for other victims of the glitch until management gets off its RRRs and fixes things.

Now, nine hours plus a good night's sleep later, the problem SEEMS to have been fixed, both on my Windows computer and my Android phone.[ ] No reply yet from engineering.com, but the fix is the important thing (provided it persists).

Kennabytes.[ ] Many thanks for that simple explanation, which some quick experimentation shows to be exactly right.[ ] I can now trigger the error at will.

So perhaps the "fix" that seemed to happen overnight a few days ago was a mirage.[ ] Engineering.com didn't fix anything and the apparent fix was merely my haphazard / randomly varied typing of the URL?[ ] It would be nice to hear from them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back