Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem accepting date parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalley

Programmer
Feb 8, 2001
US
I created a report that needs to accept a date parameter. I am using CR8 and the data is in MS Access 97. The data type in Access is Date/Time.

Here is what I did:

First, I created a parameter with the type of string. I called it "DateParam".
Next, I created a formula to convert the string to a date:

DateValue(DTSToDateTime({?DateParam}))

I called this AuditDate. Last, I created a selection formula:

{qryAudit.Date} = {@AuditDate}

When I run the report and supply the date/time (01/02/2001 00:00), no records are returned. I have double checked the data and the date is valid. I have done this before with CR8 and Oracle8i and had no problems. I am connecting the report to a query in Access and not a table. Does this have something to do with it?

Srry if I am wrong, I am not near a machine with Crystal on it, so cannot check if I am correct, but maybe it's worth a try...
In the options box, select the "date/time to date" box, then create the parameter as a Date type selecting the field directly.

Hope it works - sorry if not!

I forgot to metion the reason that I am accepting a string and doing the date/time conversion is because I am passing the date into CR from VB. I am trying to get this to work just in the report (without the VB interface) and I can't get my report to accept any date that I enter.

I did try your suggestion JustinB and that doesn't help. Thanks, though.

SOunds like, due to the date coming from Access and not from a table, CR is trying to do an exact match (i.e. 01/02/2001 00:00) and since nothing matches that /exact/ date time, there are no records returned. Try changing the parameter to a small range (from 01/01/2001 00:01 to 01/02/2001 23:59) or (from 01/02/2001 00:01 to 01/02/2001 23:59).

Databaseman Database Man
Defender of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of accurate database reporting! Follow my free tek-tip adventures at:

You might allso set the param value to string , then do totext(todate (value)). for some stupid reason this has worked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back