Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROB WITH MAXTOR SATA INSTALLING TO K8T MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halflin

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of upgrading my PC to a A64 3000+, Maxtor 120gb SATA HD, and a MSI K8T motherboard. I am having one heck of a problem trying to get win2000 to load to it. I'm starting to wonder if I have a wrong bios setting so that's why I'm asking you guys.

Ok I've gotten the BIOS to see the HD on the first screen but I only sometimes get the POST screen and when I do it says that there is a wrong setting in my bios. The other times it just bypasses that and tries to boot windows. Once it gets to the Windows 2000 Prof screen it stalls for a long time then it will continue to go. After a few seconds it will either lock up or get a blue screen. I've checked my temps and they are in the low 90's so that doesn't seem to be it.

Should I update my bios and try again or is there something else I'm missing?

I added the drivers for the sata controller during the initial boot of win2000 and everything seems to look fine. I've read in the forums here that you should disconnect all IDE drives before you try to install but that seems to be for when you can't get it to show up in the BIOS.

Thanks for your time!
Half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back