Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pro over Home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wassup393

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
AU
I live in Australia and I've found a deal where I can buy XP Pro Academic for $185AUD but Home would cost me $5 more (not academic) I run a single home PC. Would I benifit more from Home or Pro?

Sam

Pro is better if you can get it for the same price, it has added networking capabilities and allows more control for advanced users. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Go for Pro, definately, for the deal you can get, you would be sill not to!

If you want to make an infomred decision you may try looking at these links:

Microsoft Windows XP comparison

TechTv Go Home or Go Pro
Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well.

Find out what the difference is between regular Pro and Pro Academic. If the Academic version has everything the regular version does, then go for it over Home.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I couldn't agree more with cdogg,
find out the difference between Pro and Pro Academic. I run both XP Home and Pro and find no difference in performance or stability. Further, since you are running a Home computer, the extra in the regular Pro version may not be of any use to you and may confuse you more.
Dan

The academic versions of MS programs as sold in Australia are identical to retail versions, do not come in a fancy box and you have to show that you are a student or staff member at a tertiary education institution. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Nice to see a local on the forums! Yes, as far as I can determine the only difference is the lack of a box which does not faze me at all. I have looked at CyberWarriors links and the only downfall in Pro is the lack of Fast User Switching (so what?). I have ordered Pro and it will ship shortly.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back