Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRNG Error ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
US
I keep getting this error when I'm trying to scp data

PRNG is not seeded
lost connection

what could be the cause of this ? I have /dev/random perms are

crw-r--r-- 1 root system 45, 0 Mar 02 13:18 /dev/random

This can be caused for one of two reasons.

1. there is an internal error. The 'SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES: PRNG not seeded' error means there were not enough random numbers available to a daemon called "entropy" to create your proxy certificate. The entropy daemon will collect some more random numbers. Wait several seconds and try again.

2. On AIX machines, a random number generated in /dev/random is not being generated. There are two workarounds.

a) Create a .rnd file in your home directory with 200 bytes of random data (it doesn't matter what data this file contains)
b) Set this environment variable every time you login (place it in your shell startup file, e.g., .cshrc):

setenv EGD_PATH /etc/entropy

Regards Mike

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

It depends on the config and version of ssh you installed, but the latest openssh packages direct from IBM, dont have the prng dependancy. Get it from here:

Otherwise, If you have compiled ssh or got it from Bull, you could install the prngd daemon to provide the missing random seed data (prolly also need openssl from here too for ssh):
I prefer the first solution, as the prngd daemon seems to send junk to the console, and is yet another daemon dependancy.

JurgyMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back