Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Privilegies to execute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

MIS
Dec 1, 2000
MX
Hi!

Well, I have a new PC in my domain that is Win 2k Pro, office works fine in the administrator profile, but when is in another profile, it has problems. For example I can't open *.jpg's or *.gif's. When i try to open those files an error pops up saying "No file format can be found in the Registry" and a second one pops immediatly after "Unknown file format", eventhough the Photo Editor runs.
I checked the Registry but I don't know what to look for and if there.
Another problem same PC...
I installed RealJukeBox v2 the administrator profile execute this program correctly but again with another profile it doesn't work. It pops up another message saying "The user doesn't have the correct privileges to run this program,you need at least Power User to run this program"
How can I fix this thing?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks!

I´ve found several applications with the same behavior in my environment and the best way I suggest to get this solved is copying the Administrator profile to the user´s profile having troubles. This should not only copy the same environment the administaor has (like regional settings, default screen saver, resolution, etc..)but also the necesary entries into the user´s profile registry to make the same programs available for that user. Now if you want that those programs become available to eny user that logs in the computer, then the copy of the profile should be made to the default user profile instead, and you should erase the user profile already created in order to make a new one from scratch applying the changes made to the defaul user.

Note: Not all applications work this way, most of them by the way do. In my case the only one application that has to be set up under the user account is SameTime from Lotus Notes, otherwise only the account that installed it can use it.

Be Carefull: Before copiyng the Admin profile to the Default profile, make sure all icons under default profile aren available under All Users, because otherwise what any new user will have as desktop will be the same than admin and in many cases you will have to change the permissions so that users can use the application.

Hope this helps

Biohazard

You should be able to go in and give the user permissions to read and execute the program.
When you install the programs there is usually a dialog box that comes up and asks if you want to be the only permitted user or allow everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back