Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Privilege System Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

awingnut

Programmer
Feb 24, 2003
US
Is there a way to limit update access for a user to a single record? I have a database table that contains various information about people. That information is contained in a record for each person. I want people to have read access to the whole table but update access only to their own record. Is this possible and if so how would I set it up? TIA.

Sorry, MySQL does not support row-level privileges. The only way I can imagine you could achieve that would be to restrict update access to the table to a particular application which would fiter update requests.

Thanks for the reply. I think I see how to accomplish what I want (PHP programming), however that presents another problem. Specifically (this may be more an Apache question) if I handle the user's login via the PHP MySQL function, how do I tell Apache that the user is authenticated and can access restricted directories (.htaccess) without authenticating a second time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back