Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Private items unable to be forwarded

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhoul

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2002
AU
I have set, through the Outlook admin module for Group Policy, that all Outlook clients have their sensitivity set to "Private".

This is to ensure whilst browsing free/busy time people cannot see confidential meeting details (ie. for example m&a targets listed in meetings details).

A problem that has recently happened was a user sent an email message over the Internet to another user no associated at all with our organisation. This user needed to forward this message to another dept for action but couldn't due to the "Private" items nature.

Any ideas on how to fix this or a better way to hide users details in free/busy?

I have thought that if I converted all outbound internet email to plain text that would solve it. Does anyone know how to do this without need for a third party app?

Thanks,

Mark

This is by design; if you mark it private, you can't forward it.

It sounds like you don't have a good grasp of what free/busy data is. When you make an update [add or remove or change an item] to your calendar, the outlook client fires an event that generates the free/busy message. If you enable calendar caching, then the event fires at specific intervals [15 minutes by default]. The free/busy message is sent to the public free/busy folder. No message in the public free/busy folder is going to have other data from IPM.Appointment items.

To restrict others from viewing the titles or opening the items themselves, don't give them permissions on the calendar folder in the mailbox. You have to give someone at least reviewer in order for them to see your calendar details.

I understand how to free/busy data is kept, but why can users see the Subject of an appointment/meeting (not the meeting itself) if they select "Show Calendar Details" under Scheduling?

This happens for all out calendars and the only way I can stop the Subject of the meeting/appointment from showing up is to make it private.

All users Calendars by default do not have permissions for others to read. In some cases a user may have setup a Delegate.

Thanks,

Mark

Ah, that makes sense then. How to you propose I turn off the permission for users to view each others calendar.

Under the Permission TAB in Outlook for each users Calendar folder Default Access is set to None and nothing checked beneath.

Is it in Active Directory Users & Groups that I need to change this under Mailbox Rights? If so, it is Anonymous users or Everyone?

Many thanks with this,

Mark

Post creation, the mailbox rights through the gui or some custom CDOEXM script.

Could you please explain how I fix this pre-creation? I am rebuilding the Server so have to opportunity to fix this.

Many thanks,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back