Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Private Information Store misrepresenting inbox size 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeborahCurry

Technical User
Jul 6, 2000
GB
Visit site
Hi

We have a site which is running Exchange 5.5 and in the mailbox in the Private Information Store it is saying that one user has over 50 meg of information and over 29,000 emails, but going into Outlook, all told he has about 600 entries. They don't use the calendar and they don't use the tasks or journals or notes. I know that the items can include things like this, but there is no way that he has this many.

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem. Although my users never use journals one has a massive journal of over 2000 items. I have given myself permissions to the offending mailbox so that I can remove the items. As yet I don't know how to stop the journalising.

I have come across this and the user had a filter which only displayed a certain number of days worth of email. Despite deleting email in view you can only get to the other info by disabling this view from Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reduce/eliminate your deleted item retention time. Marc Creviere

I had a similar issue in Oct 2001. I found the solution this month (Jan 2002) and posted my findings. Do a tek-tips keyword search on this:

mystery content taking up size in mailbox

That's the name of the thread. Orig post Oct 8, 2001. (Or search on my handle name and find it from there.)

Good luck,
aliciaJ

Ron, In Tools/Options/Journal Options you can choose what sorts of activities get journaled. You could effectively turn off journalling this way. Also, you could get properties on the journal object and on the Auto-Archive tab configure the deletion of items after a short period of time.

As far as the item count in the information store, either the trash has never actually been emptied or the view is misconfigured. I'd start to get worried if it's neither of those.

ShackDaddy

Mailbox resources is almost never right.

isinteg -fix -test mailbox will get it right with one of the newest versions of isinteg

Open mailbox in Outlook. Right click outlook today -> properties -> folder size Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Xyber - can you run that on a live Exchange server without messing anything up? Mine is hopelessly out and is listing me with 9,800 items when I've only got a hundred or so.

Does it also give size of mailbox too? Some of my users are listed as having 1GB mailbox!!!

Yup it fixes all the above :)

Q259675 Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

ShackDaddy,
You refered to the trash not been emptied or the view is misconfigured. Could you possibly explain further?? Where in exchange administrator can I empty the trash or configure my view? Are you refering to empting deleted items and configuring the view in Outlook?

Thanks

There's a resource kit utility that will empty everyone's bin but I can't recall the name of it.

Yes, ram, I was speaking of the client.

There's also the 'Clean Mailbox' tool in Exchange Admin that will let you delete items larger than a certain size or older than a certain time.

I typically approach users with very large mail boxes and tell them that I'm going to run the clean utility and that any mail item larger than 128k that is older than 3 months is going to be moved into their Deleted Items folder. After I run the tool, they can then look through the Deleted Items folder for anything critical they may need, which can be moved back into another folder or saved to disk, and then we empty their trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back