Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Private address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

splats

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
Hi :)
Could you please tell me, how can I
get a private address book in Lotus Notes 4.6?
Thank you very much,
many greetings,
Tina

You probably already have one - Personal Address Book on local. If not, go file - database - new - server local - select Personal Address Book - enter filename as names.nsf and change title to whatever you want - if you don't want anyone else to access it you can encrypt is locally. Lamaar75@hotmail.com

You can encrypt it locally. If you do this when you run notes it will not allow you to read your address book and since you havent entered your password yet it wont ever let you in.

I know users who have done and its rather annoying

Tina,

The default local Address Book is the "names.nsf" file in the "...lotus\notes\data" directory. If you are on a shared machine, typically the Personal Address Book is shared among all the users.

If you are on a shared machine, one thing you can do is make a copy of the names.nsf and name it anything other than names.nsf, e.g. 'tina.nsf'. When you're back in Notes you can go to "File...Preferences...User Preferences" click the "Mail and News" tab. Then under "Local address books" you can add a comma ',' to the end of 'names.nsf' and add the new address book name, e.g. "names.nsf, tina.nsf". This would allow the type ahead feature in Notes to include the new address book.

Note: If you 'Copy to Local' to add a contact from a Public Address Book, the entry will only go to the 'names.nsf' file. You would need to populate your personal address book manually.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back